Meow's Favourite Pictures

Just a bunch of pictures, which I absolutely love, and would like to share with you ....

8.3.06


When we were travelling to Cape York in 2005, we went via a river crossing called "Gunshot". This crossing could be avoided via a detour, but our fellas didn't want to avoid it ... they wanted to play !! This is my Hubby, in his Nissan Patrol, going over the only section that was passable. The photo doesn't do it justice ... it was actually really steep (almost 90 degree drop, straight down). He inched the car to the edge, then slowly let the front edge drop over, with the rest of the car following. Pretty amazing to watch ... glad I was outside taking the photos !! Luckily, all 5 cars that were on the trip, made it through safely ... although we did have to winch one of them out !!

9 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, Blogger Peter said...

My Carwash phot is at the foot of Gunshot, VERY steep.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Peter ... did you go down Gunshot ??

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Yes, at the end of a winch cable, courtesy of a fellow traveller with a winch but not the adventerous spirit to want to do it himself.
There were 4 different entry points, i was to narrow for our Cruiser and three that were vertical, well they seemed to be anyway.
I haven't done the Simpson Desert crossing, in fact I've never been to Birdsville??? don't know how I've missed that one.
Been from The Olgas to Kings canyon around the back way, The Tannmi? twice. Back tracks from Pt Augusta to Alice Springs only touching bitumen twice for about 6o kms. Cooper Pedi to Alice via Mt Dare and Old Andado, (Molly Clarks station). Walcot Inlet via Station tracks from Mt Elizabeth Station. Gibb River road twice. Bungle Bungles. Cape York with LOTS of detours. Kulumbaroo, Mitchel Falls, Boraloola, Hells Gate, Kakadu, Litchfield NP and probably more than 50% of the other NPs in Oz, hey I'm not braggin' I just relived some of those trips and had a ball.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Ooops I just read that we should try Coober Pedy, I'm too lazy to check Kulumbaroo, and please excuse any others that are wrong, I might be adventerous but that doesn't mean I can spell !!

Take care. ph

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Peter ... wow you sure have travelled !!

 
At 2:55 AM, Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

ops! ...before i read the comments i thought you were rolling down a cliff!!! - glad all were safe...

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Yep, safe and well, thanks ... and the guys drove down that cliff on purpose !!!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger ~jack~ said...

This brings back childhood memories , living in the mountains of Montana, my Dad would take a short-cut to get to our cabin ... straight down the mountain side ... LOL

 
At 10:48 AM, Blogger Meow (aka Connie) said...

Jack ... that sounds like fun ... my hubby would love shortcuts like that !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home